Pages

Review: Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale

Synopsis from Amazon:

Once upon a time, in a land you only think you know, lived a little girl and her mother . . . or the woman she thought was her mother.

Every day, when the little girl played in her pretty garden, she grew more curious about what lay on the other side of the garden wall . . . a rather enormous garden wall.

And every year, as she grew older, things seemed weirder and weirder, until the day she finally climbed to the top of the wall and looked over into the mines and desert beyond.

Newbery Honor-winning author Shannon Hale teams up with husband Dean Hale and brilliant artist Nathan Hale (no relation) to bring readers a swashbuckling and hilarious twist on the classic story as you’ve never seen it before. Watch as Rapunzel and her amazing hair team up with Jack (of beanstalk fame) to gallop around the wild and western landscape, changing lives, righting wrongs, and bringing joy to every soul they encounter.


My Thoughts:

In this entertaining graphic novel, Rapunzel lives in the Wild, Wild West, and she's out to stop the evil witch Gothel who had locked Rapunzel in a tower.

Along the way she meets a boy named Jack, who carries a goose with him wherever he goes. Together, they travel the countryside together, savings towns, making friends, and helping people in need, as they make their way toward Gothel's villa.

What I love about this book is the interactions between Rapunzel & Jack. It's cute and sweet, and their arguments are hilarious. Rapunzel reminds me a bit of Pecos Bill with her amazing ability to solve any problem, but it is her strong, stubborn, kick-ass personality that completely made me fall in love with this book.

I'm already ordering the next book: Calamity Jack.

P.S. My kids have already started quoting this book. I think they have it memorized.

5 comments:

  1. This looks really cute. I love Rupunzel and this looks like a good retelling, especially if she is kick-ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels like it's been ages since I've read a fairy tale. Seems like a different twist to an old classic.

    Thanks for stopping by,

    Livin' Life Through Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome - I'm going to have to pick this up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this one - and I thought Calamity Jack got even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had read this post sooner I have a copy of Calamity Jack just sitting around ready to be donated or given away. I have to admit I love the cover of Rapunzel's Revenge

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments.