Pages

Never Have a Picnic in Texas

Not until I visited my cousins in Wisconsin during the summer did I realize not all ants bite, nor did I know that grass should be green and that cricks (translation: creeks) should have water in them. And oh yeah, tulips shouldn't grow in January.

When I was 9 or 10, I stepped in an ant bed while wearing flipflops on my feet and got close to 50 bites from the swarm. Having 10 or 20 bites on my body at any given time was normal, but 50 at once had my running home screaming. I was dumped in the bathtub, and only while cold water was touching my skin did the pain stop.

So you would think I would know better than to take the kid I was babysitting on a picnic.

Yep, we got attacked. Yep, I never did that again. That poor kid cried so hard, and I felt terrible for him.

I'd like to say that was the stupidest thing I've ever done, but I'm sure I've done worse. Thankfully, nothing comes to mind.

What about you? Have anything foolish you've done that you'd like to share?

2 comments:

  1. Oh so very many foolish things...

    Running barefoot through venomous snake infested scrub (I was such a bush baby!), eating bird's eye chilli straight of a chilli tree, sticking my hand into a shrub with a known paper wasp's nest, oh and, at my sister's insistence, putting a fire ant on my tongue.

    Yup, I'm an idgit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. You must have been such a little firecracker!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments.