Pages

White Night by Jim Butcher

White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)White Night by Jim Butcher

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Good book. Fast paced as always. But it was a cetain scene that really spoke to me...



Lasciel (the fallen angel that dwells in Dresden's mind) speaks with Dresden about his apprentice Molly. She expresses doubt that his efforts to teach Molly some important lessons in wisdom will work. Lasciel thinks that who Molly is is already set in stone.



Dresden says that what she's done does not determine her future. She always has free choice. It's a beautiful thought. It's an encouraging thought. No matter how many mistakes I make I can choose to learn from them.





Then the conversation turns to his recent anger issues, which he suspects she's influencing.



Here's the exchange (p. 274):



"Anger is just anger. It isn't good. It isn't bad. It just is. What you do with it is what matters. It's like anything else. You can use it to build or to destroy. You just have to make the choice."



"Constructive anger," the demon said, her voice dripping with sarcasm.



"Also known as passion," I said quietly. "Passion has overthrown tyrants and freed prisoners and slaves. Passion has brought justice where there was savagery. Passion has created freedom where there was nothing but fear. Passion has helped souls rise from the ashes of their horrible lives and build something better, stronger, more beautiful."



I had to put the book down after that. Somehow I just needed to let that get absorbed before I could continue.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments.