Pages

Writing Software

What software tools do you use? I've settled on Microsoft Word--it gives me the most powerful formatting tools for shorter works. But for longer works, I have used a tool called Write It Now, an organizational software for storing information about plot, characters, scenes, and notes for putting together a novel.

I liked Write It Now for many reasons, one being that I am not a very organized writer and this helped me keep track of certain information. I wished it was a little more customizable, and I wished that the writing tool for organizing the chapters worked more like Word. But other than that, I loved it.

Recently--okay, it was today--a friend sent me a link to Scrivener, which looks very similar to Write It Now. It has a lot of great reviews from published authors and looks to be very versatile.

What do you use? And what do you like least or most about it?

2 comments:

  1. So no one uses Scrivener that you know of? I've been having some trouble keeping things organized and am thinking about a program like one of these. If you've any more thoughts on them, let me know.
    :)pa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scrivener is only for the Mac OSX and is not available for Windows. So if you do not own a Mac, go with Write It Now.

    Write It Now has a feature that allows you to export your manuscript into a text doc which you can then open in Word if you want to format.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments.