Pages

Werewolf Poetry Contest

Wolves capture our imagination--howling in the night, running through the forest, chasing their prey, bonding with their pack, loving and living in wild abandon. Movies and art and stories attempt to capture these creatures in artistic form, and nothing grips us more than the myth of the werewolf--humans gone wild.


I'd love to be wild and beautiful and fiery like Vivian (Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause) or strong and witty and spunky like Kitty (Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn). I wonder what it would be like to change my shape for a day, slip through the woods, and howl at the moon.


I am looking for poets to have some fun with me, writing poetry about wolves or werewolves. I'm giving away prizes for the top winners and publicity for anyone with a good poem.

The Rules

1. The competition is open to poems of 45 lines or fewer (not including title of entry). Entries outside the line limitation will be disregarded.

2. The subject of the poem must be about wolves or werewolves. All entries must be in English, original, unpublished, and not submitted or accepted elsewhere at the time of submission.

3. To enter the contest, please submit the following information to rita@ritajwebb.com:

  • your entry
  • number of lines
  • author's name
  • home address
  • email address
  • author's bio
  • website
  • answer: May I contact you with future contest information?


4. Entries must be submitted by Saturday, August 1, 2009.

5. I will choose several of my favorite poems and allow readers to vote to determine the winners. Voting will start Wednesday, August 5, 2009, and run to Wednesday, August 12, 2009.

6. Winners will be announced on this blog by Saturday, August 15, 2009.

7. The first-prize winner will be determined by the entry with the most votes. The winner will receive the book Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause as well as free publicity by having the winning poem and author's bio posted on my blog.

8. The second-prize winner will be determined by the entry with the second-most votes. The winner will receive the book Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn as well as free publicity by having the winning poem and author's bio posted on my blog.

9. The runner-ups will be determined by any poem that I enjoyed but did not receive the top votes. All runner-ups will have free publicity by having their poem and author's bio posted on my blog.


2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to give it a go. I haven't wrote poetry in a few months. It will be a nice challenge. Thanks for the invite.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rita!

    What a great idea! I have always been enamored with the idea of shape-shifting.
    I am the author of the vampire series ALMOST HUMAN. There is no shape-shifting in the first trilogy of my series, but I'm working on the second trilogy now, and the legends of vampires being able to take the forms of bats and wolves is one of the topics I'm eager to explore ;-)

    Anyone interested in checking out my series can find my books on Amazon at:

    http://www.amazon.com/Melanie-Nowak/e/B002BRGYWS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_T1_0

    I don't think I'll be able to offer an entry for your contest, as I really need to dedicate my focus to writing AH Vol. 4: Born To Blood, but I look forward to reading everyone's submissions! Thanks so much for inviting me!

    ~ Melanie

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments.