Pages

Book Review: Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn

I just finished reading Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn. It was a fun, easy read, full of action and mystery. I was spellbound, reading the book in just two nights. (If not for kids and work, it would've been one.)

Kitty is the omega of her wolf pack, whimpering when the alpha snarls, tucking her tail between her legs, begging to be accepted and loved by a dysfunctional pack. But that all changes when she inadvertently becomes the host of a popular talk radio show--one that caters to giving advice to werewolves, vampires, and other supernatural creatures.

The world thinks it's a hoax, but Kitty and her callers--at least most of them--know differently. I like the way the author just jumps right in. No prelude. No introductions. Just "Here's Kitty and here's her world. Enjoy." I think that's a great way for an author to start a book. Give me a reason to care before you tell me all about your character's sordid past. Besides, it ruins the intrigue and mystery to tell me everything up front. Why should I keep reading if there's nothing to discover?
The book is action packed, focusing on the plot rather than the characters. In that way, it is very different than Blood and Chocolate, and for that reason, I prefer Klause to Vaughn. But at the same time, I like how Vaughn portrays the supernatural world, shows the differences between vamps and werewolves, and grips the reader with a spunky character.
I promptly picked up the next book in the series, Kitty goes to Washington, finished it in one day, and then picked up the next book, which is Kitty Takes a Holiday. I'll be finishing it tonight, and I can hardly wait. I'm just so mad at some of the characters. I'd like to throttle Kitty and give Cormac a talking to.
Yeah, I guess I'm sucked in.
Maybe tonight I'll finish in time to get to bed at a decent hour. I sure hope so because my drive to work didn't feel so safe this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments.