Pages

The Basis of Wisdom

I read this article about Sotomayor, which says the following about a controversial speech she made in 1997:

In that speech, Sotomayor said, "I would hope that a wise woman with the richness of her experiences would, more often than not, reach a better conclusion" than a wise man.

...

But he [Sessions of Alabama, the top Republican on the Judiciary Committee] said that he was still worried about Sotomayor's past statement.

"It basically suggests that a judge should not aspire to be objective since that's impossible to do. It's inevitable that your personal views would affect your decision-making. And to me, that's directly contrary to our great history of blind justice in America," Sessions added.

I am not really for or against Sotomayor. I do not have enough experience or knowledge of her to make an adequate opinion, but the idea that the senators want a judge who will not apply wisdom and understanding and compassion and experience to the cases that they must judge frightens the holy cow poop out of me.


Where else does wisdom come from, but from our expierences?
Who wants a judge that judges without wisdom?


If they want a judge that does not have the capacity to apply experience, then they should set a computer to the task. For a computer will use the law as the only criteria, the only input, by which to make a decision.

Oh my, now that will make an interesting sci-fi, horror story. Yes, I can hear it now. "What do you think you're doing, Mr. President?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments.